provided by Oneida Health Cancer Care and the YMCA of Oneida
Cancer is a life-changing disease that takes a tremendous physical and emotional toll on those affected. Oneida Health Cancer Care, in partnership with the YMCA of the Greater Tri-Valley, has developed the Stay Strong program to meet the unique needs of our cancer patients. We are here to help you address your unique needs as a cancer survivor and help you move toward a higher level of wellness.
This comprehensive 12-week program is available to patients who are going through or have completed their active cancer treatment. The program will offer Pre-hab services to help prepare patients physically and emotionally prior to treatment or surgery, and supportive care to manage side effects during cancer treatment.
When patients have completed their active cancer treatment and are ready to move to a higher level of wellness as a cancer survivors, the program will offer a local, safe environment to participate in physical
and social activities designed to strengthen and heal the whole person.
Physical Therapy at Oneida Health
At this appointment, a licensed physical therapist will evaluate and establish a baseline assessment to address any concerns regarding exercise and fitness. The therapist will develop a Fitness Care Plan in conjunction with the Medical Oncologist to help patients participate in appropriately prescribed physical activity. The program will be designed to increase strength, endurance & flexibility before, during, or after cancer treatment. This program will then directly be communicated to the YMCA for a smooth transition to the Stay Strong Program.
Fitness at the YMCA
The Oneida Family YMCA provides Certified Cancer Exercise Specialists to work directly with you on a Fitness Plan that meets your specific needs.
- Participants will safely achieve their fitness goals such as building muscle mass and strength, increasing flexibility and endurance, and improving confidence and self-esteem.
- Each participant referred through Oneida Health Cancer Care receives a 12-week complimentary YMCA membership, two group classes per week, and a weekly assessment.
- In addition, participants are able to participate in all YMCA programs and services that are available to members including Yoga, Pilates Swimming, Steam Room, Sauna, Wellness & Strength Center, and more.
- By focusing on the whole person and not the disease, this program will help individuals move beyond cancer in spirit, mind, and body.
- Participants will develop an understanding of the benefits of an ongoing fitness program, not just for recovery, but as a healthier way of life.
Oneida Health Cancer Care Medical Oncology affiliate of Roswell Park Care Network:
604 Seneca St, Oneida, NY 13421
YMCA of the Greater Tri-Valley:
315-363-7788 ext 232
701 Seneca St, Oneida, NY 13421